- The prize is performing a solo during a concert from the Metropole Orkest & China Moses in the Netherlands in May 2018.
- The Surprising Stars online music competition is open to pop and jazz musicians in Europe of every instrument. Singers/vocalists, however, are not permitted to enter the competition.
- Participants must be born between 1 May 1992 and 1 May 2002.
- The video is limited to one minute of music or with spoken or filmed introduction one-and-a-half minutes. See the music video requirements. Videos over one minute or one-and-a-half minutes will not be accepted.
- The competition is open to musicians who are currently obtaining a professional education at a European conservatory or music university, have recently graduated from their music studies in Europe, or are about to enrol into professional music education in Europe.
Timeline of Surprising Stars 2018 Competition
- Candidates submit entry – deadline 16 March 2018.
- Preselection – a maximum of 20 candidates are selected by 23rd of March 2018. Candidates are published on the Surprising Stars website. Fans, friends, and music lovers can stars voting online. Please note: Votes collected during the first round are carried into the final round. Candidates that make it into the final round and have already collected a large number of votes during the first round will therefore be at an advantage!
- First round – the Surprising Stars jury of music experts evaluates the submissions by the 20 candidates who made it through the preselection, and selects three candidates to go through to the final round by 2nd April 2018.
- Final round – Online audience gets a chance to vote for their favourite of the three final candidates until 16th April 2018. The prize-winner will be announced on 17th April 2018.
Terms and conditions
- The board and/or management reserve the right to refuse the application of candidates in the case of an incomplete application or any other compelling reason. The prize winner agrees to perform with China Moses and the Metropole Orkest in 2018 with a small fee. The competition agrees to cover the costs of travel and accommodation. Please note that any alternative or additional accommodation and related expenses are the prize winner’s responsibility.
- Candidates do not need to have a European nationality, but must be currently based in a European country in relation to their music studies. Candidates will be asked to write a short introduction about themselves and their musical practice in their application. Candidates will be asked to submit proof of professional music education. This can be in the form of a diploma, enrolment letter, or academic transcript. Candidates need to upload their video via YouTube or another video channel and send the link in the application form. Each candidate may only send one link per person.
- The competition reserves the right to photograph, record, film, stream or broadcast any part of the competition events. The prize winner must grant the competition the sole and exclusive right to use of these photographs and recordings in perpetuity. The competition also reserves the right to share information about candidates with selected partner organisations.
- Entrants will be informed about the pre-selection on a specific date. Upon being accepted, candidates must confirm their intention to participate. All costs of creating the video for the competition will be borne by the candidate.
- The prize winner from Surprising Stars 2018 can not participate in the next competitions. Former participants may join the competition again, but must send a different video.
- By submitting the entry form, candidates agree with the terms and conditions of the competition and the competition rules.
Entries closed. Time to vote!